Sunday 21 October 2012

Task 2b...exploring different methods of journal writing

Having not written a proper journal before I wasn't sure how to begin. I started writing in my own natural style before looking into different methods. Funnily enough my natural writing fell into a few of the methods below. I decided to take the methods suggested in the module hand book as well as some others I came across and try a different one over 8 consecutive days.  I tried to stick to the specific method and not let myself combine others with it, so I can give an honest judgement of each one.

In this blog I am going to sum up how I felt about each method and conclude with what I think works best for me.

Descriptive - I felt restricted just describing my day. I felt myself wanting to evaluate what had happened and use initial reflection. I found it hard just to write the facts and not explore more. I think its a great way to start but to get the most out of your journal it needs combined with something else!

Initial Reflection - This method felt very natural to me, I could fully expand and explore what had happened during my day. Looking at both moods and thoughts through out events. Perhaps combined with descriptive I could have a winning combo?

List - Being a list maker I thought this could be the one. But after trying it I was left slightly dissapionted. I felt it was good to get down your initial thoughts and events but if I was to look back on that day it wouldn't really make to much sense as its just a long list of emotions, thoughts and events with no real link. I might try it again with different lists for different things but that could get a bit complicated! But I might explore it again on a rainy day!

Evaluation - I really enjoyed writing with this method, I felt is was also quite natural to me. I could expand on events and explore all angles of my day, it also helped me see what I had learnt that day. Which is key for a journal!

Graph/Chart/Diagram - I liked using spider grams to get my initial thoughts down and could group together thoughts and feelings relating to their event. So if I was to look back I would see what thoughts and emotions linked to what. But yet again was felt left wanting more. Its a good starting point but would need to throw in something like evaluation to fully appreciate and explore my day!

What If - I found this hard to do after a day. So decided to do it the night before the next day. I think the what if can help is get the best out of tomorrow and might be a nice way to end your journal after evaluating your day using other methods. But I don't think I could solely use this method to reflect properly.

Another view - I think so far I have found this method the most awkward to do. When re reading the journal I felt like I was being patronising to myself and it wasn't as raw and honest as other methods. I also didn't enjoy writing my journal in this method. I don't think this is one for me.

Poem - This was a method I had read about in other peoples blogs so thought I would give it a go. I found that I couldn't really focus on evaluating and reflecting on my day as I was more worried about the poem rhyming. It was a fun method to do but probably not a very effective one as the poem just ended up being silly!

Exploring different ways of writing a journal has been really interesting and important as we have to keep this going through out the course. Although it is a private journal we will be asked to share parts of it later on in the modules so its important to get the most out of it and get it right now!

To conclude I think a combination of methods will work for me. My favourites being Descriptive, Initial reflection, Evaluation and What if to help me get the best out of tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with the whole poem journal. Mine was hilarious! I felt I couldn't learn a lot from it as I was more concerned about rhyming. I am glad you felt the same as me Han!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I don't think that ones for me! Will be interested to see what ones worked for you.

    ReplyDelete