Thursday 18 October 2012

Applying Boud's theories on reflection to my professional practice

At first when I saw the chapter of Boud's journal we had to read like most of us I started to panic! It just looked so long and confusing, but after stopping to think and reflecting on how I have tackled the previous Journals I got out my highlighter and pen and started taking notes!

Boud both reinforces and establishes that our personal journals are a form of reflective practice, they are veichals for acknowledging events an experiences in which we can extract meanings from and learn.

Throughout Boud's journal he focuses on three main occasions of reflection. Before, During and After.
I can apply these to many occasions with in my professional practice but the event of an audition is a good way for me to explain them.

BEFORE (Reflection in Anticipation of an event) - Before an audition we all apply the 'what if' theory, so many questions and thoughts based upon one event. Will I get this job? If so how would I feel? Excited? Nervous? Would it challenge me? Will I be disappointed if I don't get this job? How will that effect me? Will I be jealous? Upset? Thats only the start of it! We then start to plan and take every kind of shoe imaginable 'just in case' even though on the audition brief it only says bring Jazz shoes. Also a change of clothes incase plan A isn't suitable. Then you think what if the trains are late...I will go early! The list is endless.

DURING (Reflection in the Midst of Action) - As dancers and performers we tend to be very hand on people and live in the moment so I feel this type of reflection comes easy to us, although Boud says in his journal its the hardest to achieve but gives the best results! (that makes me feel very clever! next time someone looks to me like I am not the brightest button on the shelf because I am a dancer I will highlight this to them!)

In an audition scenario you might be doing a routine and then as the choreographer is teaching it to you, in your mind your thinking ok so hand is a first not splayed, or foot flexed not pointed on the kick. Then when it comes to doing the routine in groups your constantly analysing it while watching the others and making notes to yourselef. For example trying to portray different emotions and dynamics on certain moves and then immediately applying them to your own performance. In the worst case scenario if your shoe flies off or you fall over when your in the moment you get over it, just smile and grit those teeth!

AFTER (Reflection after Events)- For us its that crucial moment where you either get recalled or you get cut! Either way there is still a lot to reflect on. If you get cut you have to think about what went wrong? Is there anything you can do to improve next time so you get that recall? Was it my hair colour? Am I too small? If its the latter things you just say on to the next but if there was something that could have been done its important to pick up on those things and learn from your mistakes, as it being our profession it can make the difference to you being able to pay the bills! If you are recalled, you have to look at why you think that happened? What did I do differently? Was it my technique? Performance? Did I just have that right look? Reflecting on these things can help you in future auditions and knowing what you did right is just as helpful as knowing what you have done wrong. In both cases there can be great deal to reflect on and most importantly learn from!

When reflecting after an event Boud looks at different aspects. He looks at returning to an experience so that the learner can re live it and gain the full impact of what has happened. With out this Boud believes that further learning can be shut out forever. He then touches on attending to feelings, I agree with him that its important to focus on the feelings and emotions present in the event. I am interested to experiment in my own journal using colour as a tool for expression and highlighting different moods. Boud then talks about re-evalutaing an experience which lets us look at new and olds ideas and seeing a relationship between them. This helps us conclude our experiences and what we have learnt from them through reflecting. It is the end of one learning cycle and the beginning of a new one.

At the end of his journal Boud also looks at inhibiting reflection which I think is a very valid point! He looks at how people can limit their journal and not fully express themselves due to the fear that someone else may read their journal. I feel that its vital when keeping a private journal we keep it in a safe place so that its for our eyes only. But also we can if we feel it suitable to draw back on it and share our learning experiences with others.

After the initial scare factor I have really enjoyed reading a chapter of Boud's journal and felt his theories, thoughts and insights to reflection very interesting. Since starting theme 2 I have become a lot more aware of reflection with in our professional practice and this has just helped cement those thoughts and feelings even more! Thank you Boud and reader two!

2 comments:

  1. I like that you have linked Boud's thoughts to your own profession and already reflecting on how his theories come into your lifestyle. I agree about keeping the journal private.. It is such a good way to let out any emotions and it allows us to process our thoughts to ourselves, before sharing them with others (if we want to!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply! yeah I think with the journal being private it will enable us to use it properly and like you say only share if we want to! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete