Monday 8 October 2012

A little bit more about me - Task 1a continued

Having looked at both my cvs I have decided there are certain things you probably do not need to know about me. For example I have a full clean drivers license, my vocal range or what accents I can do to a high standard but there are others that might interest you. So here goes;

I grew up in Scotland where I began to dance at a young age. After a while my hobby grew into a more serious passion and I came to the conclusion that that was what I wanted to do. I had many opportunities while growing up, I was a member of the Scottish ballet junior associates and ayrshire voices among other things. But the turning point came when a documentary about Sylvia Young Theatre School was shown on Tv while I was performing as Part of the Joseph choir while it was on tour in my local area. While I was doing the shows I made sure Mum had the programme on record and watched them over and over again and thought to myself, I want to go there. After hours of persuasion my Mum finally rang up to enquire about summer schools, although she was still dubious as I was only 12 and Sylvia Youngs was based in Central London. Not the place you want to pack your 12 year old to for a week. Sadly the summer school was full but they offered me an audition for a full time place, Mum laughed it off but as determined as I was I did several more hours of persuading and my flights were booked! Turning up for my audition was when my life changed. Mum build me up for the disappointment of not getting in (she only took me to shut me up!) but to her surprise I was offered a place on the day and there was no turning back! From then on in I knew that it was for me.

While at Sylvia's I was lucky enough to be in the Original Cast of Billy Elliot the musical which was an amazing experience. I also gained experience with in other areas of the business like TV and Radio. One of my favourite memories is when we toured around Europe doing cabarets for Nespresso. After my GCSE's instead of taking the sensible route of A levels I decided I wanted to further my training so applied to several dance and musical theatre collages. That is when the next chapter starts.

After auditioning for several collages I decided that Laine Theatre Arts was for me. I studied there for three years and obtained a National Diploma in Musical Theatre. While training I also took my DDI in modern dance and my ATCL diploma in speech and drama. Laines was defiantly an experience and I wouldn't change it at all. During my time there I was given a teaching assistant job at their saturday schools and it was then I starting to gain a passion for teaching.

Now as a graduate in between professional jobs I work as a dance/drama and singing teacher for 4-8 year olds which I find really rewarding. Once I have furthered my education with my BAPP I am hoping to do my PGCE as a drama teacher in secondary schools as I feel I have a lot to offer in that sector. As much as I love our Industry it can be brutal! Therefor I feel its sensible to have other options and you never know what the future will bring!

3 comments:

  1. Hannah, I'm a bit useless with the whole blog thing so this comment is a bit late sorry...I wrote about your "About me" section in my blog because I really liked how you'd done it..it's really easy to read, as if you're just telling us your life story in a fun way, it's not at all monotonous and I can totally relate to a lot of what you're saying..especially the part about you nagging your mum and her not taking you very seriously ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare thanks for the comment! I enjoyed reading yours too! Slightly jealous your enjoying the hot weather in Cyprus and we are stuck here in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, don't worry once you get snow I'll be the jealous one! Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete