Friday 1 March 2013

CPD - what actually is it?

CPD stands for continuous professional development.

I found this website gave a good definition - http://orrdat.orr.gov.uk/whatiscpd.aspx

I feel very passionately about this line of enquiry as its very relevant to my current professional practice and practically everyone else in my profession.

I have been trying to do some reading on this subject and there is a lot about general CPD or CPD specific to other careers and jobs but nothing specific to CPD in the arts. All the more reason to do it I thought!

I want to look into the follow aspects -


  1. How being the best you can be can impact on success
  2. How networking can aid CPD
  3. The best way to keep up with the next big thing - whats hot this week may not be next week
  4. How to keep mentally strong in order to keep going 
  5. How to keep physically fit when in and our of work in order to be at the top of your game
  6. Keeping audition ready so you get that next job
  7. Reflecting on events in order to learn and become a better professional
I would like to have your feedback on those points and also would be interested into what you would look into?


The reading I have been doing is looking at the basic understanding of CPD and how it can help you in your professional practice.

I found the following article very interesting as it poses a similar study into which I will be looking at. Although in a different field and time scale its good to look at parallel projects.

Jens Rowold, Sabine Hochholdinger, Jan Schilling, (2008) "Effects of career-related continuous learning: a case study", Learning Organization, The, Vol. 15 Iss: 1, pp.45 - 57 -

Off to continue reading! Please give me some feedback!!

2 comments:

  1. Hannah - aligning what you do with us to the idea of CPD is sound - and practitioners need updating in today's work environment - looking at other fields is also beneficial - sort of sideways - but helps to clarify your own position in you own sector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula Thanks for your comment. The more research I do the more I realise how we are doing thing constantly wether we are aware of it and making the most of it or not. A great example of CPD is all of us on the course, the whole point of this degree is to help us all and by doing it we are continuing our professional development!

    ReplyDelete